Symposium Participant Directions
Thursday, April 20, 2017
8:30-9:30 am and 1:00-4:00 pm
Special Events Gym – University Recreation Center
*We request that no heels be worn on the special events gym floor. Only flats will be permitted*
Wednesday April 12, 2017 at 5:00pm final deadline to submit application and abstract (Be sure to identify “Student Research Symposium” in the subject line when you submit the application and abstract)
Thursday, April 20, 2017 8:30-9:30 Check in and set up posters
Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:00-4:00 Student Research Symposium & Award Ceremony
Overview of Symposium
The Harris College Student Research Symposium is designed to allow undergraduate, master’s, and doctoral students in Communication Sciences and Disorders, Kinesiology, Nursing, Nurse Anesthesia, and Social Work departments the opportunity to share ideas about research, practice their research presentation skills, and interact with students and faculty colleagues on important professional topics. The symposium will be devoted to student presentations. Students with outstanding poster presentations will receive recognition at the symposium and at the Harris College Awards banquet.
Undergraduate and graduate students in the Harris College of Nursing and Health Sciences are invited to participate in the HCNHS Student Scholarship Symposium on April 20, 2017. Students will submit a proposal and abstract expressing their intent to participate in the Research Symposium. Faculty advisors must indicate approval of the project by signing the application attached. Applications and abstracts must be sent to Dr. Debbie Rhea (email@example.com) by e-mail on or before Wednesday, April 12, 2017, by 5:00pm. Any submissions received after 5:00 p.m. on April 12th will not be considered. Students will be notified about their acceptance and are expected to prepare a poster that presents their research. Students should be present to discuss their research from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. on April 20th. Judging: This year’s judging criteria for the Research Symposium will include judging of the visual presentation of the research and judging of the researcher’s ability to explain and discuss their research (maximum 3 minutes) with the judges. Winners will be announced at the symposium between 3:00 and 4:00 p.m. at an Awards Ceremony.
Submitting a Proposal
All proposals submitted for the Research Symposium should include the following:
- Application form completed and signed by faculty advisor and student (if more than one student on the project – only one submission should be submitted for the project)
- Abstract of 200 words or less consisting of an Introduction sentence, Method, Results, and Conclusion sentence (See abstract template for quantitative and qualitative examples on the Harris College Research website).
- All proposals will be reviewed by the Harris College Research Committee*
- We will accommodate as many presentations as space allows. Proposals must have approval signature from their faculty advisor on this project in the student’s home department.
- Students are encouraged to consult with their faculty advisor in preparing their presentations.
- All proposals must be submitted by April 12, 2017 5:00 p.m. at the latest. You will be notified by email about the acceptance of your proposal by April 14, 2017.
- All proposals (application and abstract) must be submitted as an MS-Word attachment in an email sent to Dr. Debbie Rhea (firstname.lastname@example.org). An email from mentor approving submission may serve as a signature.
You will pick from the themes below on the application where you think your poster will fit the best. We have provided examples of the types of research that would fit in each theme.
- Ethics/health policy: example titles (Community Response to Repeat Partner Violence; Respecting choices with advanced directives; Substance abuse in health professionals; Worth the wait: Evaluation of sex education program in the high school)
- Cultural diversity/global: example titles (Need for cultural diversity in batterers intervention program; Developing culturally sensitive diabetes education with Mexican Americans)
- Physiological issues: (Relationship between eating frequency and body mass index; The effect of load bearing on posture)
- Psychosocial: (Effects of self-esteem and ethnic identity with eating disorders; What affects does reminiscence have on depression)
- Professional practice (Training of Deaf Habilitation for secondary certification; Training CPS workers to utilize the strengths perspective in assessing agency clients)
- Public health/Health promotion (Analysis of the American Cancer Society’s Generation Fit Project; Reducing Subclinical Symptoms of HIV in Urban Communities)
Creating a Poster Presentation
- All posters should be 36” X 48”. HCNHS templates can be found at http://tcuharrisresea.wpengine.com/student-research/research-symposium/poster-samples/. Be sure to select 36” X 48”. You do not have to use this template. You can create your own through PowerPoint. You can also delete or move the spaces if you use the HCNHS templates.
- Information about how to develop a poster can be accessed on the Harris College Research website.
- For free poster printing contact to set up an appointment: Liz Pettijohn, Kinesiology dept., ext. #7665, or email@example.com . Posters must be in final form. Only one copy will be printed, so check work carefully.
- You may begin making appointments for printing as early as March 27th, but the last date to be able to print posters is April 19th by 5:00 p.m. You must make an appointment by 5pm on April 18th to be able to print on the 19th. Allow 30-45 minutes for poster to print. If you have a poster to be printed after April 19th at 5:00 p.m., you will need to go off-campus for printing. In order to print your poster, you must first save to a PPT file.
- Only white backgrounds – you may use splashes of color; no more than 3 pictures and 8.5×11 for the finished size of the picture (for quality & use of ink); use texturing instead of solid color in text boxes; title box could have color, but then minimize the bulk color on the poster. See web poster samples for how the final poster could look http://tcuharrisresea.wpengine.com/student-research/research-symposium/poster-samples/.
- Winners will be announced on the day of the symposium. Winners are asked to attend the Academic Achievement Banquet on April 26th, 2017 from 5:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. to be recognized (Kelly Alumni Center Cox A & B).
Thursday, April 20, 2017 Research Symposium Overview
8:30-9:30 Check in and set up posters (students)
1:00-3:00 Judge 3 minute oral presentation of research (judges)
1:00-3:00 Students present posters –TCU community, family, and friends
3:00-4:00 Awards ceremony and reception
Members of the Research Committee:
Communication Sciences and Disorders – Dr. Danielle Brimo
Kinesiology – Dr. Jonathan Oliver
Nurse Anesthesia – Dr. Vaughna Galvin
Nursing – Dr. Lisa Bashore
Social Work – Dr. Nada Elias-Lambert
DNP – Dr. Kathy Baker